General Position Description: Program Leader (County)
Major Responsibilities of the Program Leader
This position's major responsibility is the interpretation and delivery of relevant educational information to the citizens of the county, with specific emphasis on efforts to insure the application of this knowledge. This responsibility may be discharged in two ways:
- The Program Leader has a basic program delivery role in one of the seven Extension program areas.
- The Program Leader provides leadership to the total county effort in one of the seven Extension program areas. In this role, he/she has leadership and coordination responsibilities similar to those of a committee chairman.
The Program Leader is responsible to his/her CED for all programmatic and administrative matters. The amount of time which the Program Leader spends (1) in developing and delivering his/her own individual program and (2) in providing leadership and coordination to the county-wide effort in a particular program area is determined in concert with the County and District Directors.
Functions and Tasks of the Program Leader
The Program Leader's duties fall into two areas of responsibilities: (A) managing a specific portion of the program area and (B) providing leadership to other county faculty who have responsibilities in that same program area.
A. Individual Program Responsibility
- Conducts educational programs in his/her designated area to help people more effectively interpret and use findings of science and technology.
- Assumes responsibility for developing and executing a Plan of Work.
- Involves the respective program advisory committees in the development and implementation of programs in the designated program area.
- Involves resources of the University of Florida and the community to implement county programs effectively.
- Identifies, recruits, and develops lay leadership to carry out the program of work in the county.
- Assumes responsibility for the 4-H program within the area of competency or subject matter.
- Develops and uses appropriate systems for reporting program accomplishments.
- Functions at all times as a professional educator.
- Is responsible for all programs being in compliance with affirmative action policies.
- Follows a sound process in developing educational programs in his/her designated program area.
- Works with program advisory committee to analyze the county situation and identify priority problems.
- Establishes clear objectives and uses appropriate subject matter content and learning experiences to reach these objectives.
- Designs and implements a variety of program delivery methods to reach target clientele.
- Takes necessary action to insure that sufficient groundwork is laid for programs to succeed.
- Evaluates results and accounts to appropriate publics for program accomplishments.
- Develops an understanding of the county, the needs of its citizens, and Extension's role in meeting those needs.
- Understands the county situation in terms of social and economic factors.
- Understands the role of the County Extension Service in effecting changes in the county situation.
- Continuously examines his/her role as a change agent.
B. Leadership of a Specific Program Area
- Provides leadership in planning and implementing all aspects of programs within the assigned program area.
- Provides leadership in preparing a Plan of Work for the assigned area.
- Assists county faculty in the program area in determining activities to be undertaken in the implementation of the Plan of Work.
- Provides leadership in determining and obtaining resources needed to implement the Plan of Work.
- Plans and provides the training needed to equip leaders and faculty members to carry out assigned program responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains two-way channels of communication with leaders in carrying out various activities in the Plan of Work.
- Provides opportunities for faculty in the assigned program area to discuss problems and progress in carrying out the Plan of Work.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive understanding of the role of Florida CES as an educational agency and the implications of its role for programming in the designated program area.
- Understands and conveys the philosophy, objectives, and policies of Florida CES.
- Understands the organization and use of Extension resources.
- Understands his/her role as Program Leader and the relationship of the role to others.
- Understands and promotes EEO, ADA, UF's diversity plan, and other affirmative action programs within Extension.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive understanding of the County Extension Service as a functioning component of Florida CES.
- Provides leadership for the county faculty in assessing the county situation in terms of social and economic factors in the program area.
- Assesses the effectiveness of the county Extension program and plans with the county faculty to identify needed modifications in the specific program area.
- Provides leadership for co-workers in thinking through plans for involving county leadership in planning, implementing, and evaluating the county program in the specific program area.
- Follows a sound process in developing and implementing educational programs in the program area of responsibility.
- Interprets the role of County Extension Advisory Committees to the county faculty in the assigned program area.
- Identifies with the CED the qualifications needed by leaders to perform effectively on the Overall Advisory Committee.
- Assists the CED in organizing and conducting training for members of the Overall Advisory Committee.
- Assists the CED and Program Advisory Committees in identifying types and sources of information needed to plan the county Extension program.
- Provides leadership for other county faculty and program advisory committees in analyzing and interpreting information to identify problem areas for possible treatment in the assigned program area.
- Assists the county faculty in coordinating plans for the Extension program with those of related organizations and agencies in the assigned program area.
- Provides leadership for the county staff in the assigned program area for communicating the planned Extension program to the people.
- Takes leadership and cooperates with his/her co-workers in preparing a popularized version of the planned County Extension Program in the assigned program area.
- Represents the county Extension faculty in communicating the program to personnel of related agencies and organizations.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with personnel of the mass media and arranges for appropriate releases and presentations in the assigned program area.
- Utilizes all available channels of communication to insure comprehensive public understanding of the program. Coordinates contacts with the CED.
- In cooperation with the CED and the faculty, develops and implements a plan for evaluating the planned county Extension program in the assigned program area and for making appropriate reports.
- Provides leadership in determining the effectiveness of the planned county program in the assigned area.
- Assesses the effectiveness of the human and material resources used in achieving the educational objectives of the plan of work.
- Accepts responsibility for reporting on the achievement of program objectives.
- Uses the results of evaluations to identify and suggest needed changes in the implementation of the planned county program.
- Maintains and encourages county staff in the assigned program area to maintain a high level of professional competence.
- Holds regular and appropriate planning meetings for faculty in the assigned program area and provides copies of minutes to other faculty members and the CED.
- Provides an opportunity at these meetings for each member to report and discuss significant accomplishments, experiences, and current situations.
- Communicates to the CED changing situations or problems.